Matcha Latte - The Creamy, Frothy Goodness
Jul 05, 2023
Matcha Latte is gaining popularity among tea drinkers. Cafes, restaurants, and eateries are listing this smooth, frothy drink on their menus and it's a hot favorite among tea enthusiasts. The enormous health benefits of Matcha Latte are one of the important reasons for its popularity.
The health benefits are enlisted below:
- High Nutritional Content: Matcha is made from whole shade-grown tea leaves, which are stone-ground into a fine powder. As a result, matcha retains a higher concentration of nutrients compared to other teas. It is rich in antioxidants called catechins, vitamins (such as vitamin C, vitamin A, and vitamin E), minerals (including potassium, calcium, and iron), and fiber.
- Antioxidant Powerhouse: Matcha is particularly known for its high antioxidant content. The main type of antioxidant found in matcha is called epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), which has been linked to various health benefits. Antioxidants help combat oxidative stress, which can contribute to chronic diseases and aging.
- Boosts Energy and Alertness: Matcha contains a moderate amount of caffeine that provides a gentle and sustained energy boost without the jitters or crashes associated with coffee. It also contains the amino acid L-theanine, which promotes a sense of calmness, focus, and mental clarity. The combination of caffeine and L-theanine is known to induce a state of relaxed alertness.
- Supports Relaxation and Stress Reduction: The L-theanine content in matcha has been found to promote relaxation and reduce stress levels. It can help calm the mind and improve overall mood without causing drowsiness. The meditative nature of the matcha tea ceremony itself can also contribute to a sense of tranquility and mindfulness.
- Boosts Metabolism and Weight Management: Some studies suggest that matcha may help increase metabolism and promote fat oxidation, potentially supporting weight loss efforts. However, it's important to note that matcha alone is not a magical solution for weight loss, and a balanced diet and active lifestyle are crucial for overall health and weight management.
- Supports Heart Health: The antioxidants in matcha, particularly EGCG, may help protect against heart disease by reducing LDL cholesterol levels, improving blood pressure, and enhancing overall cardiovascular health. However, more research is needed to fully understand the specific effects of matcha on heart health.
- Enhances Detoxification: Matcha contains chlorophyll, which gives it its vibrant green color. Chlorophyll has been associated with aiding in detoxification and cleansing the body of harmful substances.
How to Make a Matcha Latte
This matcha latte recipe is super easy. Here’s how you do it:
- Start by sifting your matcha powder. It clumps easily, and the clumps can be difficult to whisk away, so this step will help make your matcha latte smooth, creamy & lump-free.
- Add the matcha to a mug, and pour hot, recently boiled water over it. Whisk vigorously until the matcha green tea powder is fully dispersed. You want to move your whisk in an up-and-down or side-to-side motion, not the usual circular pattern, in order to get your matcha to foam.
- Pour the warmed coconut milk over the foamy water (almond milk is good too!) and whisk again to froth the milk. Enjoy your Latte.
So get your Matcha Pack and your whisk and make this Latte filled with the goodness of antioxidants and immunity-boosting properties. Go creative with this magical green powder to create your unique recipe.